Mayor Joe is growing the police force and has returned IMPD to neighborhood beats so our officers know their neighborhoods, and our neighborhoods know their officers. He’s increased officer pay for first and second-year officers, and invested in new technology and upgrades for our police force. He’s also doubled crime prevention grants for grassroots groups and invested in criminal justice reform.
- Growing our police force by funding nearly 150 new officers.
- Providing raises to new and second-year officers to ensure our police department can competitively recruit diverse, high-quality candidates.
- Overseeing the department’s return to community-based beat policing.
- Investing in improved technology that allows law enforcement to better target violent criminals.
Mayor Joe is also investing in criminal justice reform, to break the cycle of crime and violence by addressing its root causes.
- Created a Mobile Crisis Unit that is helping keep people with substance abuse and mental health issues out of jail and in treatment programs.
- Piloting an innovative new mental health screening tool for law enforcement officers to use on-the-ground, in partnership with NYU.
- A new intervention center designed to provide mental health services to those in need, helping to save taxpayer dollars and keep non-violent offenders out of jail and in the treatment they need.